Beta is back. HCG on Monday was 8.77. HCG today is 13.04. An increase of 4 and some change. Which means that I have to stay on estrogen and progesterone and have another repeat beta on Tuesday.
The nurse who called me is not someone I know, and she clearly does not know my history with repeated losses. She was upbeat about this result. Trying to be encouraging, “It’s going up! You might just have a slow starter…”
Or I might have another blighted ovum. Or an ectopic. Or it might still be just a chemical. I explained that I know it needs to be doubling, and she agreed but still tried to force feed me some optimism. She was nice, very nice, actually – just clearly not up to speed on how battle weary I am at this point.
Also, if I want the IVF clinic to draw another beta, it’s going to cost me $110. If I go through my medical group (whose results are reliably SLOW to come in), it will be covered by my insurance. IF I thought there was any chance this was something, I would spend the money and have the draw at the clinic. But really, it went to 13. I’ll be going to my medical group and just waiting for the results. I am not throwing away any more money than I have to on something that is not happening.
There is no cause for optimism here.